Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: Revealing Eden

 
            Title: Revealing Eden, Save the Pearls Part One
            Author: Victoria Foyt
            Published: January 2012
            My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars



            Good Reads Summary:

            Eden Newman must mate before her 18th birthday in six months or she'll be left outside to die in a burning world. But who will pick up her mate-option when she's cursed with white skin and a tragically low mate-rate of 15%? In a post-apocalyptic, totalitarian, underground world where class and beauty are defined by resistance to an overheated environment, Eden's coloring brands her as a member of the lowest class, a weak and ugly Pearl. If only she can mate with a dark-skinned Coal from the ruling class, she'll be safe. Just maybe one Coal sees the Real Eden and will be her salvation her co-worker Jamal has begun secretly dating her. But when Eden unwittingly compromises her father's secret biological experiment, she finds herself in the eye of a storm and thrown into the last area of rainforest, a strange and dangerous land. Eden must fight to save her father, who may be humanity's last hope, while standing up to a powerful beast-man she believes is her enemy, despite her overwhelming attraction. Eden must change to survive but only if she can redefine her ideas of beauty and of love, along with a little help from her "adopted aunt" Emily Dickinson.

            My thoughts:
    The first thing about this book that caught my eye was the cover, I have to admit that I am a sucker for a good cover. When I started reading this book I was pleasantly surprised and completely sucked in to the Post apocalyptic world of the future Earth. I felt the concept for this book was new and different and even a little risky. Race is a delicate topic and it surprised me when I found out that Foyt used it so prevent in her novel. Eden is a pearl, or a white skinned person. Pearls are the lowest class because of the color of their skin. The Earth has overheated and people with light colored skin cannot survive the radiation from the sun, Coals are the ruling class and people who have dark skin, with enough melanin that can protect them from the sun. To stay alive in her society Eden needs to be mated by her 18th birthday and to a coal, and she will be able to live.

    In the very beginning of the book you meet Jamal, he is head of security for a company that Eden's father and in turn Eden works for, They have secret meetings together and you get the feeling that Jamal and Eden both really care for each other, just to find out that none of it was true at all. I was sad when I found out that Jamal didn't really care for Eden. I found myself having a soft spot for her and wanted her to find someone and I really felt like she deserved it with the world that she was living in, she deserved to find happiness.

    It was fast-paced, adventurous ride that had kept my on the edge of my set and I couldn't stop reading or wondering what was going to happen next. I really enjoyed the story and how everything played out. The second half of the book did surprise me with where the story went I don't want to ruin the surprise but I will just say that it was interesting to say the least. I felt that the story was refreshing and different from most of the books I have been reading lately I definitely recommend it anyone who loves the ya genre and it was also a pretty quick read for me and I enjoyed it a lot.

1 comment:

  1. I also read this book via Netgalley. Really enjoyed reading it and also, loved the cover. I review it on my blog and through my reading I found that the author is not scared to deal with controversial themes like: racial discrimination and genetic manipulation.

    New Follower via GFC!
    Jess@ Jessy's Bookends

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...