Sunday, March 2, 2014

YA, a woman's world?

So I am obsessed with Entertainment Weekly and I love how much coverage they give to books and especially YA books. This week when I was on their site I saw an interesting article about gender in the literary world talking about how it's still a man's world when it comes to literary journals, check out the article HERE This gave me the idea for a talk about gender in the YA world. I think that in the entire publishing industry men may dominate the other genre's but as far YA goes I think it it is definitely dominated by females.

I have looked at some of the male authors in YA that I have read and I am really sad to say that I have only read two male authors, Scott Westerfeld and John Green. I think it is odd that  both of these books have female main characters, I am now interested in expanding my reading and getting into some more male YA authors because when I think of the hundreds of books that I have read and its still hard to believe that they are all female authors.

If you are like me and want to read some more male authors I created a little list of books that you can look into.

Partials Sequence By: Dan Wells
Gone Series By: Michael Grant
Mrs. Peregrine's Children By: Ransom Riggs
The Maze Runner  By: James Dashner
Ashfall series By: Mike Mullin
Lorien Legacy By: Pittacus Lore

Stand Alone Authors

David Levithan
Jay Asher


Why do you think there are so few male authors in the YA genre? Let me know in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I agree that YA seems more female dominated, but male authors aren't going anywhere. Eventually I think the world will find a balance, where "girl books" and "boy books" can actually coexist without an apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are more than people realize. For example: Rick Riordan, Vincent Marrone, Doug Dillon, and Christopher Paolini, just to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you go into the book store it would appear that women dominate YA, the sad fact is that even though there seems to be many more female writers writing YA, the male authors dominate the New York Times best seller lists weekly and that there is a lot of gender bias in the book world and it's not very equal at all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...