Sunday, October 20, 2013

Review : Hourglass (Hourglass #1) By: Myra McEntire


Title: Hourglass (Hourglass #1)
Author : Myra McEntire
Published: June 14th, 2011
Source: Bought
Buy The Book: Amazon/Barnes and Noble
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:
One hour to rewrite the past . . . 

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should've happened?

My Thoughts:

I have been reading a ton of time travel and parallel universe books lately and really enjoying them, since the last book is finally out I decided to give this series a try and I really enjoyed this one, I gave it 4.5 stars because the romance at times felt a bit insta-lovey but, I still enjoyed the romance despite it. I loved that there was so many twists and turns for this book. I was surprised and most of the time I didn't see them coming at all. The time travel bit at times felt too much when they explained it although I did enjoy learning a bit of physics behind it. But, Myra did an amazing job of making each character memorable and even after finishing the book, I feel like they are all still fresh in my mind and even the secondary characters were important. I really felt like I got to know each of them and also got some depth behind them, who they were and why they  acted the way they  did. She definitely added so many layers to the story by giving each character a distinct and memorable background. I have the next book and I can't wait to read it, although from what I remember the second book is from another characters POV, I hope that I enjoy that aspect but, considering how much I loved all the secondary characters already I definitely think that I will!

Emerson Cole has finally gotten her life back on track, after her parents death, she has finally come to terms with the visions she see, people from the past from Scarlet O'Hara look-a-likes to jazz trios.  Her brother spends as much time as he can trying the help Emerson understand her visions and each time whoever he hires fails or is a fraud, It all changes when he hires Michael from The Hourglass.  Michael understand Em's visions even more then she can even believe  and slowly but surely he gains her trust and shows her that there is more to her visions than she has ever known.

Emerson and Michael's relationship was a insta-lovey a bit but, not so horribly that I couldn't enjoy their relationship at all. The visions gave them a special connection that brought them together very quickly. Although at times I felt that it was too fast, at times Em's feelings made sense because of everything she had gone through with her visions and feeling like she was crazy, she didn't have many friends and Michael was the first person who genuinely understood her completely.

There was a few secondary characters but, only one a couple who really stood out to me. I loved  Em's brother's wife Dru. I liked the addition of her as a mother figure and for some reason I just really loved her being a part of the book. The other character is Kaleb, Michael's best friend and also a part of a maybe brewing love triangle. He was definitely the opposite of Michael in my opinion and he added a much needed lightness to the book.


Hourglass was another time travel novel that I enjoyed and no matter how many times I read this genre of novels I find another one that adds different aspects that I enjoy, I am definitely looking forward to reading Timepiece.  

Want some more thoughts on Hourglass? Check out the links below!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book as well when I read it. It's unfortunate that I haven't picked up the rest of the books in the series. I love how different this is from other time travel books. If you have a chance, check out Time Between Us and Time After Time by Tamara Ireland Stone. That is, if you haven't. They're awesome too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...