Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Review: Drain You By: M. Beth Bloom



Author: M. Beth Bloom
Published:  July 24th, 2012
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Every night I'd lie there in bed and look out at the hills behind our house, listening. I knew there'd be consequences.

Actions meant reactions. Sunrises meant sunsets. My fear was too permanent, lasting longer than eyeliner, something I wore every day and didn't wash off.

Quinlan Lacey's life is a red carpet of weird fashions, hip bands, random parties, and chilling by the pool with her on-and-off BFF Libby. There's also her boring job (minimum wage), a crushed-out coworker (way too interested), her summer plans (nada), and her parents (totally clueless). Then one night she meets gorgeous James, and Quinn's whole world turns crazy, Technicolor, 3-D, fireworks, whatever.

But with good comes bad and unfortunately, Quinn's new romance brings with it some majorly evil baggage. Now, to make things right, she has to do a lot of things wrong (breaking and entering, kidnapping, lying, you name it).

There's normal, and then there's paranormal, and neither are Quinlan's cup of Diet Coke. Staying sane, cool, in love, and alive isn't so easy breezy.

My Thoughts:

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for review.

Ok, so let me first just say this book surprised the heck out of me, it was completely different from what I was expecting and I enjoyed it even more then I thought I was going to. Although it had a paranormal aspect to it, it was definitely different from what I normally read and I really enjoyed that aspect. It was dark, funny, and a super entertaining ode to everything 90's.

Quinlan or Quinn as she likes to  be called was an awesome character, she was so different from many of the female characters you read about in YA and I absolutely fell in love with her. She was so snarky and funny, and she had me laughing out loud throughout the whole book. You completely get to know her and really get to be inside her head. From her awesome outfits, that I could completely picture, to her random thoughts about her days spent tanning by the pool or working at the video store. She really knew who she was and didn't apologize or care about what everyone thought about her and I loved that. Her summer starts off completely normal until the night she meets James, the brother of  a girl that goes to her high school, completely mysterious and off limits to her, and also a little bit stalkerish, she is immediately intrigued and obsessed with him. Although I normally hate insta-love and let me tell you this had the worse case of it, I didn't mind it in this book because it didn't take itself too seriously. It in my opinion, was supposed to be funny and comedic and at times ridiculous but, that was why I loved it. At times Quinn was crazy and reckless but, for her it all made sense. It was just who she was and it all went along with the feel of the book.

There was a semi love triangle going on throughout the book with James and his brother Whit. After James mysteriously leaves Whit, just shows up and him and Quinn quickly become close. Although James is Quinn's love interest, you don't get to see much of him throughout the book and that did disappoint me a little bit. But, I loved his brother Whitt. He was super funny and fun, and he wouldn't let Quinn sit around and wallow in the fact that James had left, he made her go out and do things with him every single day and they were completely random yet, with the two of these characters I wanted to come along and join them, I wanted to become their friends and join in on their banter.

Overall, this book was such a fun read, not to serious and totally 90's. I kept thinking to myself that it would be such a fun movie or television show and wanted to keep reading about Quinn I loved her attitude and her thoughts on life, everything random and every conversation she had. So, if you enjoy the 90's and want to read a dark comedy full of vampires and snark, then definitely give this one a try!

Happy Reading!
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...