Saturday, August 17, 2013

Review: All Our Yesterdays By: Cristin Terrill




Title: All Our Yesterdays
Author: Cristin Terrill
Published: September 3rd, 2013
Buy The Book: Amazon/Barnes and Noble
Source: E- galley from publisher
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars! 2013 Favorite!
Goodreads Summary :

"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was.

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.

 My Thoughts:

I have been making myself wait and wait until closer to the release of All Our Yesterdays to read it. This book was definitely one of my most anticipated and I couldn't wait to dive right into it. Anything with time travel or alternate worlds completely fascinates me and so I was definitely hoping that I would enjoy this one and I can say for sure that I absolutely loved it.  Cristin Terrill wrote the perfect time travel novel, I don't think there was anything to fancy about this one which is why I enjoyed it so much. She didn't invent anything totally  new in my opinion to tell this story. The plot followed along the way I expected it to fast paced  with twists and turns that I saw coming but enjoyed anyway. Terrill shows that even though her p l o t didn't feel completely new that doesn't mean you can't write a story that people will love. Once I started this one I couldn't put it down, I finished this book in a day and my eyes were glued to the pages the whole time. 

As the book begins we meet Em and her friend a guy who we only know from this voice in the cell next to her where she is being kept. They are being held there by the doctor who wants information from Em that she isn't willing to give. But, as Em spends another night in her cell she remembers something about the drain, when she finally gets the drain off she finds a list from all of past self's of the things they have tried to do to stop the doctor from creating a time machine that destroys the world. The book goes back and forth between two girls, Marina and Em,  Marina being Em's past self and who she was before her best friend James created a time machine that changed the whole  world. 

 Sometimes it was hard to believe and even remember that Marina and Em were the same girl just a past and future version of her. Marina was your normal teenage girl that was in love with her best friend and next door neighbor James, who was a genius. He is part of one of America's most famous families with this brother a Senator. Em on the other hand was completely different from Marina, she felt hardened and c hanged by everything she had to do in the future and she know s deep down that the James that she once loved with all of her heart is gone and she will do anything to stop him from turning the world into what she has had to face and she was willing to do anything to stop him. 

 Overall, All Our Yesterdays was perfect, fast paced,  action filled and everything I love about time travel. There wasn't any overcomplicated explanations about how time travel worked  or how it was invented it was just a part of the story. I for one am in awe of Cristin Terrill's storytelling and I have now found another author that I love!

Want some more thoughts on All Our Yesterdays? Check out the links below!

1 comment:

  1. I thought this one was perfect, too! But there was no way I could make myself wait to read it. I just had a feeling it was going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...