Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Review: Not A Drop To Drink By: Mindy McGinnis




Title: Not a Drop To Drink
Author: Mindy McGinnis
Published: September 24th, 2013
Buy The Book: Amazon/Barnes and Noble
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Source: E- galley from publisher
Goodreads Summary:
Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water. 

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….

With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.

My Thoughts:

I was really looking forward to reading this debut, I really love dystopian and this one kind of freaked me out, in a good way. As far as dystopian reads the reason this one freaked me out the most was because it seemed like a really real future that could actually happen to us. There wasn't any fantasy aspects to this read, what you see in the summary is what you get. McGinnis created a gritty and real read that reminded me a bit of Blood Red Road By Moira Young.
All Lynn has ever known her whole life is to defend their pond, she has known how to shoot a rifle for as long as she can remember and  she has never been far from where she lives, they can't leave their home because they have to be there to defend their pond from invaders. Their lives are all about surviving, gathering wood stocking up on food for winter. Her mother is hard woman but has taught Lynn  everything she knows. But, when tragedy strikes Lynn finds out that everything her mother taught her may not be everything she needs to survive.

Lynn's character was a little naive  but t, with the way the world was it was hard for her not to be. Her mother taught her that all men were evil and they just wanted to hurt her and that the m most important thing was for her to protect their water source. As the story progresses Lynn's character really grows and she learns so much. Writing this review is hard because this is one of those books that if I give anything away you won't enjoy the story as much so I can't say too much about it. 

Not A Drop To Drink  was a haunting dystopian that at times reminded of something that could likely happen in the future and Mindy McGinnis didn't use anything other than real life to write this story which for me sets this book above the others in this genre. 

Want some more thoughts about Not A Drop To Drink, Check out the links below!

3 comments:

  1. I liked Not A Drop to Drink but was a little disappointed in certain aspects of the story. I can't exactly say which since it will give away to much and I don't want to spoil any of your followers but yeah, I just think some things could've been handled better and others not given so much focus. Good review though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I just realized you linked my review, thanks!

      Delete
  2. I only checked out your star rating because I have this one coming up for review soon and I don't want to influence my opinion by reading what you thought. :P But yay for 4 stars! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...