Monday, September 2, 2013

Review: Where The Stars Still Shine By: Trish Doller


Title: Where The Stars Still Shine
Author: Trish Doller
Published: September 24th, 2013
Source: E-Galley from the publisher
Buy The Book: Amazon/ Barnes and Noble
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!
Goodreads Summary:

Stolen as a child from her large and loving family, and on the run with her mom for more than ten years, Callie has only the barest idea of what normal life might be like. She's never had a home, never gone to school, and has gotten most of her meals from laundromat vending machines. Her dreams are haunted by memories she’d like to forget completely. But when Callie’s mom is finally arrested for kidnapping her, and Callie’s real dad whisks her back to what would have been her life, in a small town in Florida, Callie must find a way to leave the past behind. She must learn to be part of a family. And she must believe that love--even with someone who seems an improbable choice--is more than just a possibility.

Trish Doller writes incredibly real teens, and this searing story of love, betrayal, and how not to lose your mind will resonate with readers who want their stories gritty and utterly true.

*

"Trish Doller writes strong, gutsy characters that you can't help caring for and Callie is no exception. Her journey is heartbreaking and powerful." —Melina Marchetta, Printz Award winning author of Jellicoe Road

My Thoughts:

I was beyond excited when  I got approved to read this book, last year when I read Doller's debut Something Like Normal I was completely head over heels with her writing and when  I think of a contemporary author go to,  Trish Doller is definitely one of my first picks. The plot of this book fascinated me and it definitely  felt like it was ripped out of the headlines and  I couldn't wait to dive in.

Callie has spent her life moving around the country following her mother's whims, she hasn't had a normal life, she has never had friends or even gone to school. Her mother kidnapped her ten years ago and they have been running ever since. Her whole life changes when at a traffic stop her mother is arrested for her kidnapping and she is sent to live with her father and his family.

This  book in my opinion could have gone a couple of ways and I am really glad that Trish took it the way she did, Callie definitely had her issues and imagine going back to a whole family that you have never known and a whole town that knows what happened to you.  Callie felt overwhelmed and she doesn't know how to handle it all.  Most of the time she runs and when she does the first person she runs into is Alex, there was an instant attraction between of them and eventually the romance of the story evolved.

The romance was not the main focus of the story and it mainly focused on Callie  and how she was handling her new life, I really connected to her and I was rooting for her throughout  the book.  I love Trish's writing she makes me feel every piece of the story and I am in love with her books.


 Where The Stars Still Shine is a story of finding yourself, healing, happiness, and so much more.  Trish Doller was already one of my favorite contemporary authors and if it's possible I love her even more after reading this book!     

Want some more thoughts on Where The Stars Still Shine? Check out the links below!

                                                                                                                                                      

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review. I want to read this one so bad so i'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed where she took this story as well and the emphasis on family

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...