Monday, January 6, 2014

Review: The Waking Dark By: Robin Wasserman



Title: The Waking Dark
Author: Robin Wasserman
Published: September 10th, 2013
Source: E-galley from Netgaley
My Rating: 2 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:


They called it the killing day. Twelve people dead, all in the space of a few hours. Five murderers: neighbors, relatives, friends. All of them so normal. All of them seemingly harmless. All of them now dead by their own hand . . . except one. And that one has no answers to offer the shattered town. She doesn't even know why she killed—or whether she'll do it again.


Something is waking in the sleepy town of Oleander's, Kansas—something dark and hungry that lives in the flat earth and the open sky, in the vengeful hearts of upstanding citizens. As the town begins its descent into blood and madness, five survivors of the killing day are the only ones who can stop Oleander from destroying itself. Jule, the outsider at war with the world; West, the golden boy at war with himself; Daniel, desperate for a different life; Cass, who's not sure she deserves a life at all; and Ellie, who believes in sacrifice, fate, and in evil. Ellie, who always goes too far. They have nothing in common. They have nothing left to lose. And they have no way out. Which means they have no choice but to stand and fight, to face the darkness in their town—and in themselves.


My Thoughts:


I read Book of Blood and Shadows by Wassermann last year and I really liked it, I was definitely hesitant about reading this one and seeing that it was a horror type of story but, I was curious and went along with it anyway. I had also seen comparisons to Stephen King’s work although the last time I read something from him I was 13 lol. The Waking Dark was not for me, I don’t think it was a bad story or horrible writing, it was just not for me. It took me forever to read this one because I just couldn’t get into it. There were so many characters to keep track of and at times it was just super depressing to read.


Oleander, Kansas is a small town, where through the course of the story it seems like you meet every single person who lives there in some way, shape, or form. Everything changes on the killing day, and slowly but surely each citizen begins to unravel and the town is slowly destroying itself one day at time.


I had a hard time connecting with the characters because their was so many to keep track of,  I kept getting confused on who was who and what their background was so it made it hard to connect with anyone of them when I could barely keep them straight. Each character has their own secrets and problems that they are having to deal with themselves along with everything that was happening around the town, at times it was a little graphic and brutal,  but it made sense for the feel of the book.

Overall, The Waking Dark is a book for people who are fans of horror thats deep and dark. Although it is more mature for YA and does have a bit of violence in it so be aware. This one just wasn’t the read for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...