Sunday, March 10, 2013

Review: Divergent (Divergent #1) By: Veronica Roth



Title: Divergent (Divergent #1)
Author: Veronica Roth
Published: February 28th, 2012
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!
Goodreads Summary:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

My Thoughts:

Wow, Amazing, Awesome! I am probably one of the last people to have read this book but, I absolutely loved it. It was such a great dystopian and completely creative and new and fresh. Roth created a world that I immediately fell into and I couldn't put this book down, it was action packed, engaging, and I can't wait to read the next one.
In the future dystopian's world set in Chicago the world is set up into five different factions, each focusing on a different value, I was so fascinated to learn about each one and what the people of that faction were like,  I couldn't imagine growing up in a world where your life was dictated by the one value and people lived their lives accordingly to reflect that belief. At the age of sixteen each child takes a test to see which faction they are most suitably matched with and they then have a ceremony where they choose their faction that they will spend the rest of their lives with. Our main character Beatrice, is part of Abegnation who are known for being selfless, all her life she has never quite felt like she belonged and she makes the choice to leave her family and become a part of new faction. Once her choice has been made the initiation begins, she makes herself a new nickname Tris, which I absolutely loved I don't know why but, I really enjoyed her new name.  Full action, romance, and betrayal, becoming a part of her new faction was a much harder task then she ever  believed it could be. 

I loved Tris so much, I don't think that she is the typical dystopian YA character, I didn't see her as a Katniss or someone who was super strong honestly, she played herself off like a strong heroine but, you could tell she wasn't completely. I am not saying that she wasn't a strong character she was, but just not like the normal YA heroines and I liked that. Now, onto Tris's love interest Four. He was so mysterious throughout most of the book. But, it worked out well for his character. You really didn't get to find out much about his character until the end. Once I got to know his character and find out about his past I really fell in love with him. He was a great ally for Tris to have.

Overall, this book was amazing and I can't wait to read Insurgent, if it is even half as good as this one then I know that I will love it.

Want to read more about Divergent? Check out the links below!

7 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I loved divergent as well, glad you enjoyed it. Great review : D Happy Blogging!

    - Sunny @ www.asupersunnyspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought this book! I can't wait to read it, everyone seems to love it.
    The main characters sounds realistic & the boy character awesome! :)
    Great review.

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, I'm so happy you loved it as much as I did! I really like Tris and Four :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you read and loved this one! It's one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Four a lot, which was great as love interests don't always please me lately. It was awesome to learn about his fears!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Divergent was definitely a new riveting tale that had me rapidly flipping the pages in a reading frenzy! Highly recommended book!

    regards,
    micky of Automotive Body Shops

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the world that Roth created in this book

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...