Monday, March 18, 2013

Review: Straightjacket By: Meredith Towbin



Title: Straightjacket
Author: Meredith Towbin
Published: February 15th, 2013
My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Eighteen-year-old Anna has lived her whole life in shame, losing herself in books to cope with crippling panic attacks triggered by her abusive parents. Forced into a psychiatric hospital, she can’t imagine a future that’s anything but bleak—until she meets Caleb, a gifted, 19-year-old artist who insists he’s an angel.

He swears his mission is to help Anna break free from her parents’ control and fulfill a destiny that she can only dream of. The doctors, however, are convinced that Caleb is delusional.

Anna doesn’t want to be that girl who’s in love with the crazy guy, but when she sees his stunning portraits of her and the way he risks everything to keep her safe, she can’t help but imagine a new future for both of them, filled with hope. But just when it seems they’ve created heaven on earth, Caleb’s past emerges full force, threatening to destroy their tiny, blissful world. And Anna has to decide if she should follow her heart, or if Caleb’s really as troubled as his doctors say…

My Thoughts:

I was really  curious about Straightjacket when I started it, angels have been done so many times before in YA but this time it was  done somewhat differently and it wasn't the same old love story between a girl and fallen angel and I enjoyed the fact that it was different.

Anna  has been abused by her parents her whole life and even though she is eighteen she can't seem to break away from them and she finds herself in a mental hospital as per her parents, she doesn't want to be here and she seems completely broken.  Caleb is an angel who is sent down to help   Anna realize her potential and what she is meant to be. But, something happens between  Anna and Caleb that neither one see's coming.
Anna was a character that I really felt for, when you meet her and her parents I was so angry at them when  I saw how they treated their daughter, it wasn't right and it made me want to climb through the boo k and tell them what I really thought of them, the reasons that  Anna was there  and how she felt about herself were a direct result of how they treated their daughter.

Caleb was definitely an interesting character, he goes into the story ready to his job and help Anna reach his potential and I have to admit that the way that him and Anna begin to fall for each other felt a little bit insta-love but, at the same time their romance was also sweet and endearing.

Overall, this book was more like a gritty contemporary read then a paranormal one but, if you enjoy those types of contemporaries then you will definitely like this one!

Want to learn more about Straightjacket? Check out the links below!
 

6 comments:

  1. Wow. What a cover. I had never heard of this one, so thank you for the review. I def enjoy contemps like this and I think the paranormal element would make it better for me. Anna sounds like a character that I would fall for as well.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Kristin. This is going on my TBR list. Great cover!
    Nitza @ http://reneesdepository.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It being more contemporary is a bonus in my book. I'm not big for angel books. I do love books where I really detest the parents though, it just gets me so emotionally involved. I hadn't heard of this one before and it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a copy of this one to review. I'm kinda excited to hear it reads more like a contemporary. Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the cover and the story sounds interesting. Is the first time that I heard of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of this one before and it does sound interesting...

    Now am off to check your other reviews :) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    DDS @ b00kr3vi3ws

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...