Friday, June 29, 2012

Review: Hemlock (Hemlock #1) By: Kathleen Peacock




Title: Hemlock (Hemlock #1)
Author: Kathleen Peacock
Published: May 8th 2012
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:
Mackenzie and Amy were best friends.

Since then, Mac's life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac's hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy's killer:

A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome--also known as the werewolf virus--is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy's murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy's boy-friend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock's thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spell-binding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.
My Thoughts:

I really loved this book! I was a little bit hesitant at first, mainly because I had read the Shiver series and I never really got into it so I was  wary of a werewolf story, but this one was awesome! This book had a little bit of everything, supernatural, adventure, action, and romance.

We first meet our main character Mackenzie Dobson, or Mac as everyone calls her who has grown up having a rough life, she lives with her cousin Tess because when she was young her mother left and she grew up with her criminal father who had dragged her all over the country in his dealings. She is grieving the loss of her best friend Amy, who was killed by a werewolf. Hemlock is a average small town in America but, the world is different from ours in a few ways. Everyone is aware that werewolves exist, Lupine Syndrome it is called, people who are infected with it are sent to camps,  which they call Rehabilitation camps, where everyone who is found out to be infected with Lupine Syndrome are sent by the government.

I really loved our main character Mackenzie, in my opinion she is a sort of tom boy who doesn't realize how beautiful she really is. She has her small group of friends consisting of her best friend Amy and her boyfriend Jason, and Jason's best friend Kyle. They are all trying to deal with the fact that their friend was killed by a werewolf and each of them is doing it in a different way, Amy was not the only person in their town to have been killed by a werewolf there has been a string of murders that are causing a lot of unrest in their town, with the police having nothing to go on but, a patch of white fur found in Amy's hand.

The police are having a hard time handling the werewolf problem so they have called in a I would call them a militia type group called the Trackers, they are people who want to rid the world of werewolves, they catch them and send them to the camps, they were definitely extremists and they posed an interesting idea for Mac to think about and what she believed.

Overall, this was such a great book, it flowed well and kept my attention throughout the whole things, the action was great and I couldn't but it down when so m any exciting things were happening, I was sitting on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen  next. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a book that has it all!

Happy Reading!
Kristin

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posted my first comment on the wrong post - woopsies! Anyway, I really liked your review for Hemlock. It looks like a great book. Thrilling. I adore werewolf stories! I'm glad you liked the main character. I hate when MC's are dull. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read this book. I simply have to many books I need to read before finally getting my hands on this one. I've heard nothing but good reviews about it. Happy to hear you liked the main character. It can be hard to enjoy a book when you completly dislike the main character.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...