Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review: Wrecked By: Ann Davies



Title: Wrecked
Author: Ann Davies
Published: May 1st, 2012
My Rating: 2.5 stars out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Secrets of the sea have never been sexier than this. Ever since the death of her parents, Miranda has lived on Whym Island, taking comfort in the local folklore, which claims a mysterious sea witch controls the fate of all on the island and in its surrounding waters. Sometimes it’s just easier to believe things are out of your control.     But then a terrible boating accident takes the lives of several of her friends, and Miranda is rescued by a mysterious boy who haunts her dreams. Consumed by guilt from the accident, she finds refuge in late-night swims—and meets Christian, a boy who seems eerily familiar, but who is full of mystery: He won’t tell her where he is from, or why they can only meet at the beach. But Miranda falls for him anyway…and discovers that Christian’s secrets, though meant to protect her, may bring her nothing but harm.     Seductive and compelling, Wrecked brings a contemporary, paranormal twist to a classic enchanting tale.

My Thoughts:

I received  this  book from goodreads first reads. In my opinion this book was just ok, I didn't love it but, I didn't hate it either.

We first meet Miranda our main character, her and her friends are partying on the beach of the Whym Island where they live. They are the rich and privileged kids of the island, having everything they want including boats. At the end of the night they decide to go on a ride of Miranda's boat, she being the responsible one offers to drive considering she was the only one who wasn't drinking. But as they are riding through the water, their navigation system starts malfunctioning and they run something over with the boat. As everyone begins to freak out, a fire starts in the boat with Miranda's boyfriend throwing everyone overboard in an attempt to save their lives. Miranda is then saved by a mysterious boy who is swimming in the water when the accident happens, most of her friends are not so lucky and they don't survive the boat accident. She lives with her Grandmother, who doesn't know how to talk to her or deal with what's happens, so she pretends like it doesn't and  a brother who is so worried about her he looks at her like she is going to break.

I did connect with the main character Miranda a lot throughout the  book you get to see how she deals with the aftermath of the accident. Everyone on the island and in her school completely blames her for what happened, calling her a murderer and a killer and completely shunning her. I really felt for her because it wasn't her fault and she already has to deal with so much grief from losing her friends.

The legend of the sea witch is one that every person knows, from growing up on the island of Whym. They say she controls the storms and can take the lives of people on the water when she chooses. Most people think it is some legend but, as you come to find out it's not and Miranda becomes the person of her wrath. She wants her soul and she is angry she didn't get it during the accident.
Next, comes Christian who is a merman, more specifically a betwixtman, a mermaid that has human legs instead of a tail. I was really disappointed by his character. I was looking forward to more of the story focusing on him and the world of living "Down Below" with the creatures of the sea, and you don't really get to know much of that except for the basics of his background.  Christian is under the rule of the sea  witch, but, he angers her when he saved her from the accident and she couldn't add her soul to her collection.

After saving Miranda, Christian begins having thoughts and feelings for her, having an instant connection with her when he is saving her. He wants to be able to see her again, in the beginning he just watches her from afar until he decides to go ahead and finally talk to her and meet her by swimming at the same part of the beach Miranda swims at every day. Miranda begins having a connection to him too, of course without knowing him  at all and this was the part I didn't like, they fall into the instant love category and you get to see no real reasons as to why either one should have feelings for each other. 

Overall, like I said this book was just ok. I didn't get bored by it but, I wasn't so excited to turn the page and find out what happened next. So, if you want to read a story about mermen, this story is just not for you, although there is action and romance, not all of it was real and believable to me. 

Happy Reading!
Kristin

3 comments:

  1. OOOOOOH I was on the fence about this and then you came along with this GREAT review!
    New Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the fence about this book, have read a lot of up and down reviews. Part of me just wants to get it for the beautiful cover lol Great review, thinking I'll just need to grab it and see if I like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting for this book to make it's way to me--it's floating in the mail somewhere!! I've been reading a lot of "unsure" reviews--so I am super curious as to whether or not I'll like it! Once I read it, I will definitely post back and let you know what I thought! Ps. I am definitely following you!! I LOVE YA!! My blog is in wordpress, also a YA book blog, and it's readingenvogue.wordpress.com if you ever get a minute to stop by and say hello :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...