Saturday, November 3, 2012

Review: Crewel (Crewel World #1) By: Gennifer Albin



Title:  Crewel (Crewel World #1)
Author:  Gennifer Albin
Published: October 16th, 2012
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars! 2012 Favorite!
Goodreads Summary:

Incapable. Awkward. Artless.

That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.

Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.

Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight.

Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.

Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.

My Thoughts:

I loved this book so much! Gennifer Albin has created such an amazing world that intrigued me from the very first page. Although dystopian isn't a new genre and it is the hottest thing in YA right now, I was really happy with how new and fresh the story felt.

The whole concept of weaving time with matter and Spinsters was so cool in my mind. To everyone in  Adelice's world becoming a spinster is what every girl dreams of, being among the most powerful women in the world. But, all her life Adelice was taught to hide her ability to weave time, when a girl became of age she was to be tested to see if she was able to weave time on a loom and become a Spinster. But, she slips up her testing and she knows it. They are coming for her and she knows it.

This book was seriously amazing! Adelice was such a strong character. Even after she was taken to become a Spinster, she never gave up who she is to fit the mold of what they wanted her to be. I don't want to give anything away but, I will say that she was definitely tested and they did so many unfair things to her but, she stayed true to herself.  There was a of course a love triangle but, I enjoyed it because it took a backseat to the main storyline and it didn't overshadow anything.  

Overall, it was just amazing! I know my review seems kind of sparse and vague but, it's only because you need to read this book to appreciate how awesome it is and I don't want to spoil it!

5 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too-it kind of surprised me after reading a bundle of lackluster fantasy/dystopia novels. This one just really worked for me and I can't wait to find out what will happen next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 stars! Awesome! I can't wait to read this book, I have it waiting! Whoop! Your review convinced me to move it up in my pile of books!:-) Yay! I have starting to get into dytsopians more nowadays and I'm loving them!

    Great review, Kristin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing a lot about this book, it's nice to know it lives up to the hype :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been interested since before its release, and it's nice to see reviews now. I will say that while the concept is really neat, and I'm definitely interested, I'm a romance girl, but am pretty over the love triangle thing. Knowing that, will this book just aggravate on that front or would you still say it's enjoyable all around?

    BK
    buffykennedy[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love triangle didn't bother me just because I was so fasinated with the overall story. Love wasn't really the focus as much so in my opinion it was still enjoyable all around. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...