Saturday, December 22, 2012

Review: Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1)



Title: Hex Hall ( Hex Hall #1)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Published: March 2nd, 2010
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
My Thoughts:

I was really looking forward to reading this one, so many people love this series and I had wanted to read this for such a long time. I am sorry to say that while I didn't hate this book, it didn't live up to my expectations.

Sophie Mercer is a witch, sentenced by the council to go to school at Hex Hall with her fellow punished Prodigium.  She doesn't know much about being a witch. Her mother is human and her father is a warlock, who she has never met. Going to a reform school full of witches, werewolves, and faeries is something new for Sophie and she doesn't know what to expect. 

I don't know what it was about this book that I just didn't connect completely with, because there wasn't anything that I hated about it but, there also wasn't anything that I loved. One reason I think I didn't fall in love with this book was written for more middle grade at least in my opinion.  Normally this doesn't bother me but, for some reason it did. But, some of the positives of this one is that it made me smile, it was a great story for a younger middle grade reader. I also enjoyed her friendship with her roommate Jenna, a vampire.

Overall, this book was a fun read but, maybe just too young for me. Sophie was a strong protagonist and she was ready for anything, definitely the main character type that I love. I recommend this book for younger readers and it is definitely great for a first time paranormal reader. I know I have many readers out there who love these books so, tell me your thoughts and opinions. 

2 comments:

  1. I can see what you mean about this book being too young. I loved the humor and fun, fast pace but the romance annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this too because everyone talks about it a lot... hmm my expectations might be too high also :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...