Sunday, December 23, 2012

Review: I Hunt Killers By: Barry Lyga (Jasper Dent #1)



Title: I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent #1)
Author: Barry Lyga
Published:  April 3rd, 2012
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:
What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad?

Jasper "Jazz" Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say.

But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could—from the criminal's point of view.

And now bodies are piling up in Lobo's Nod.

In an effort to clear his name, Jazz joins the police in a hunt for a new serial killer. But Jazz has a secret—could he be more like his father than anyone knows?

My Thoughts:

This book was dark, dangerous, creepy, and completely awesome! I am a huge fan of the t.v. show Dexter, and this was like the YA version, sort of. Barry Lyga has created a complex and layered character, that kept me on the edge of my seat and turning the pages the whole entire time!

Jasper Dent is the son of one of the most norotrious serial killers in history, and Jasper is just trying to be a normal teenager and live a normal life. But, growing up his dad taught him all about what he is doing, Jazz is always questioning himself and wondering if he is a sociopath and killer like his father.  Everything changes the day a body is found in Jazz's hometown of Lobos Nod, he is convinced it is a serial killer and he knows it from first hand experience. Now, he just has to convince the cops that he is right and convince himself that he is a normal teenager.

Being in Jazz's head was so interesting and I loved his narration. Jazz wants more than anything to be normal, but even he can't answer his own questions. Is he destined to  become just like his father because of the way he grew up or is he just paranoid about himself. As the reader even though you are in his head, you never know for sure about Jazz and the whole serial thing was creepy and kept me reading late into the night.

Overall,  this book was just plain awesome and creepy in a good way. It kept me wondering and interested, it made me think, about whether or not growing up as a parent for a serial killer would make you the same way, or not. Have you guys read this one? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Given all the good publicity this book has been getting, I felt certain I was going to hate it, but I ended up LOVING it to bits and I can't wait to read the sequel. You're dead on about it being similar to "Dexter". That's what went through my head as I was read it, too.
    ~ http://www.murderandangst.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this book it never really slowed down, it kept me on my toes never really knowing who the killer was.

    Micky Johnson (Local SEO Dallas)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...