Friday, December 21, 2012

Review: Tempestuous(Twisted Lit #1) By: Kim Askew



Tempestuous (Twisted Lit #1)
Author: Kim Askew and Amy Helmes
Published: December 18th, 2012
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads Summary:

Recently banished, unfairly, by the school’s popular crowd, former “it girl,” Miranda Prospero, finds herself in a brave new world: holding dominion amongst a rag-tag crew of geeks and misfits where she works at the Hot-Dog Kabob in the food court of her local mall. When the worst winter storm of the season causes mall workers and last-minute shoppers to be snowed-in for the night, Miranda seizes the opportunity to get revenge against the catty clique behind her social exile. With help from her delightfully dweeby coworker, Ariel, and a sullen loner named Caleb who works at the mall’s nearby gaming and magic shop, Miranda uses charm and trickery to set things to right during this spirited take on Shakespeare’s The Tempest.
My Thoughts:

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for review.

I really enjoyed this book, it was short and sweet yet it was packed with so much plot that kept me entertained throughout the entire thing. I have to be honest but, I haven't read The Tempest since high school and I really didn't pay much attention to the plot, wish I did now though. Our main character is named Miranda Prospero, which is right out of Shakespeare's play.
Miranda has fallen from grace at her private high school, after a cheating scandal has left her fellow student's  futures in ruins, she is blamed for the entire thing and is shunned by everyone in her school including her former boyfriend and best friends. To make up for her discretion she is sentenced to work at the food court in the mall, to pay back the money she had earned because of what happened. One night while working, a blizzard hits and Miranda, her fellow mall co-workers, and many students from her school are snowed in at the mall overnight. Full of pranks and fun, this book was a teenage dream.

Miranda was a great character, she was strong in the face of everything she is going through. Pretty much every single person in her school hates her because of what happened and they aren't afraid to show it. She keeps everything together and she is definitely diabolical but, in a good way. Miranda was great at helping people, many of her co-workers came to her for help and advice, how to solve a problem, they counted on her for help. Like I said above this book was a quick read but, it was full of much action. I never knew so many crazy things could happen in one night by teenagers.  

Impromptu concerts, dance parties, and robberies, are only a few of the crazy things that happen in the mall full of teenagers overnight. I wish they had awesome books like this out when I was in high school, it would have been so much fun to read this type of book and talk about how it related to the tempest by Shakespeare and I really think it would have engaged me. Overall, this book was a great read for someone who enjoys a contemporary read, it reminded me of the fun of an Ally Carter book and I enjoyed every second of it. Have you guys read The Tempest By: Shakespeare? fill me in and maybe I can find some more interesting connections to it!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I read this book last month But i have not published my review, yet. I loved the simplicity of this novel, and the lightness of it. I have not read The Tempest and I didn't know that it had a character in it with the same name! Nice info!
    GREAT review, kristin!
    Wait for my review, too!
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read The Tempest but I have read this book and I agree with you about how much fun this book was! Can't wait to check out Exposure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...