Monday, December 31, 2012

The Demon Trapper's Daughter (Demon Trappers #1) By: Jana Oliver



Title: The Demon Trapper's Daughter (Demon Trappers #1)
Author: Jana Oliver
Published: February 7th, 2001
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Good reads Summary:

Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself—and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on...

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get—even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart—and her life?

My Thoughts:

This is the beginning of a great series, I am so mad that I haven't started this one sooner, although now I don't have to have an agonizing wait to read the next book! I really enjoyed this one, it had action, adventure, myth, and intrigue the makings of an awesome read. There was nothing about this book that bored me one bit, I just kept reading and finished it almost too fast, when I finished reading I was up and ready to get the next book.

Riley Blackthorne wants to be a great demon trapper just like her dad, as the book begins she is doing one of her first solo traps which does not goes as well as she would have liked. She just wants to prove that just because she is a girl does not mean that she is any less of a trapper. 

I loved Riley's character she was a strong kick butt heroine that you always wanted to root for, she was snarky and awesome, I loved reading about her and I really enjoyed her interactions with all of the characters of the book. The aspect of demon trapping was so cool, I loved learning about how they trapped the demons and what it took to do it. It had some fun and interesting magical aspects of it that I hadn't read before that made the book even better to read. Riley didn't get along with many girls so one of the most interesting aspects of this book that was besides Riley she is mainly the only female character that you read about. Her father's partner Denver, I can't recall his real name now just his nickname lol  was an interesting character that we end up learning a lot about. He seemed torn between having feelings for Riley and also wanting to be more of a big brother to her. I can't wait to see if this is explored in the later books.

Overall, this book was an awesome start to a series and I am so glad that I finally started it and I cannot wait to continue. Anyone who enjoys paranormal and action and adventure will love this one.  Have you guys started this series yet? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. My sister just finished this series and she is begging me to read them soon. She loved them. I figure I'll be reading them before long.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...